Housing Choice Voucher Program, Homeownership & Family Self Sufficiency

Waitlist Status
Please see the Public Notice for the current status of the Waiting List

Rental Assistance
The SECTION 8 HOUSING PROGRAM offers rental assistance in existing houses, mobile homes, and apartments so that safe, decent, and sanitary living conditions can be affordable for income qualified families.  The family’s portion of the rent is based on the household’s income. Monthly housing assistance payments are made directly to the owner. Units approved for the program must meet minimum Housing Quality Standards and rent reasonableness.  Income eligibility is set by the funding source “United States Department of Housing and Urban Development”.

JFCAC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, familial status, national origin, ancestry, age or disability; and operates in accordance with the Federal Fair Housing Law.

Homeownership Opportunity
Jefferson-Franklin Community Action program has implemented a new voucher homeownership program as of October 1, 2006.  The voucher Homeownership program is a unique program designed to allow participants of the Section 8 rental assistance program to become a first time homebuyer with continued assistance on mortgage payments instead of rental assistance payments. The basic homeownership requirements are that you are a first-time homebuyer who has not defaulted on a previous mortgage; you have continuously worked full-time with no employment gaps over the last year (elderly and disabled do not have to meet the employment requirement); and you have to be able to secure your own financing.

Family Self Sufficiency (FSS) Program
The Family Self Sufficiency (FSS) Program began in 1995. The FSS program’s goal is to provide support and encouragement for families to help them get off government assistance and on a path of self sufficiency. Housing staff helps determine families’ skills, abilities, and interest for employment opportunities and counsels them in taking the right steps to achieve job readiness and ultimately self sufficiency. When a family becomes employed, or earns additional income, the housing program will begin a savings account for the family that basically matches the increased amount the family will have to pay for rent. The family’s account will have a monthly deposit made based on additional earned income in the household. As of April, 2012, a total of 126 families have successfully completed their FSS contract goals and received from their escrow accounts.

For further information, please contact us at the Jefferson County Center or Franklin County Center listed here.

{tab=Public Notice}

The Housing Waiting List closed on May 15, 2014 for all families except those who meet one of our local preferences.  Pre-applications will still be accepted for those families who qualify for one of the following local preferences.

Preferences for which a family may qualify are:

  1. Families with children enrolled in and currently attending the Head Start Program with Jefferson Franklin Community Action.
  2. Families who have successfully completed within the previous twelve months an acceptable self-empowerment or leadership/community involvement program such as S.E.L.F. through United Way, Project COPE, or Step Up to Leadership.

Reasonable accommodations for the disabled may be arranged by calling: (636)789-2686 (Jefferson County), (636) 629-6193 (Franklin County), Relay Missouri Servicers Users 1-800-735-2966 TT/TTY or 1-800-735-2466 VOICE.

Pre-applications will be made available in an accessible format upon request from a person with disabilities or with limited English proficiency.

JFCAC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, familial status, national origin, ancestry, age or disability and operates in accordance with the Federal Fair Housing Law.

Public Hearing to be held on Housing Plan
The Franklin County Public Housing Agency will hold a Public Hearing on June 12, 2014 at 10:00 a.m. at the office of Jefferson-Franklin Community Action Corporation (JFCAC), #2 Merchant Dr., Hillsboro, MO.  The purpose of the Public Hearing is to invite public comments from interested persons on the proposed Annual Plan for Fiscal Year October 1, 2014-September 30, 2015 to be submitted to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program which is administered by JFCAC in Franklin and Jefferson Counties.

The Annual Plan is a requirement of the federal Quality Housing and Work Responsibility Act. A copy of the plan is available for review from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, at the JFCAC Housing Office, #2 Merchant Dr., Hillsboro, MO. and is posted on JFCAC website at www.jfcac.org. JFCAC is an Equal Opportunity Housing Provider.
All questions should be directed to Janna Bittle.

{tab=Income Guidelines}
Income Guidelines
Effective 12/18/2013

Size of Family Monthly Income
1 $1,958
2 $2,237
3 $2,516
4 $2,795
5 $3,020
6 $3,245
7 $3,470
8 $3,691

{tab=Annual Plan}
PHA 5-Year and Annual Plan
The PHA Annual Plan may be downloaded for viewing here.
The PHA 5-Year Plan may be downloaded for viewing here.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the program called?
This program has had several different names and has been referred to as “the Hud Program”, “Section 8″, “Rental Assistance” and “the Housing Program”. It is officially named the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
How do I get on the waiting list?
Our waiting list has been closed since January 1, 2010. Check the Housing page on this website for announcements or when applications will be accepted.
I’m on your Housing waiting list and recently have moved. How do I notify your office of this?
You need to mail a letter to us at Jefferson Franklin Community Action Corporation, P.O. Box 920, Hillsboro, MO 63050, giving your name, social security number, current address and telephone number. Be sure to sign the letter. This can also be faxed to us at (636) 789-3548, Attention: Housing.
What happens when I come to the top of the Housing waiting list?
Application forms are mailed to the address we have on file. We will need verification of all income, assets, and social security numbers of the household. Once the household is certified as meeting the guidelines of the housing program, a letter is sent to the household assigning them to a Housing Specialist, who will brief the family about the housing program, and issue the family a “Voucher of Housing Participation”.
I can’t find my social security card, what do I do now?
You can file for a replacement card at the Social Security Office and ask them to give you a printout of your social security number. To contact the Social Security Office call 1-800-772-1213.
How long do I have to wait to get assistance after signing up?
At this moment, our waiting list is closed, we are not taking applications. The average wait has been ranging from 1 to 3 years, but this can change once the waiting list is open.
You may call 636-789-2686, ex. 125 for a recorded message.
Can I sign up at another housing agency?
Yes, if they are accepting applications.
Sometimes, I see rental ads in the paper that say “Approved for HUD” or “Approved for Section 8″. What does this mean?
The Section 8 Rent Assistance Program does not pre-approve rental units. Each prospective unit is inspected prior to the move-in, and only after the tenant and owner submit a request for tenancy approval. It probably means the owner is willing to sign the unit on the program.
I might consider renting to someone on the Section 8 program, but I don’t like paperwork. How complicated is it?
We provide a lease to be signed between owner and tenant, and a contract between the owner and the Housing Agency. You will also need to submit a W-9 and proof of ownership of the unit. Program staff will assist you at each step and are available to answer any questions you may have. Owners renting on the program have the same rights and responsibilities as an owner renting on the private market.
I’m homeless and need emergency housing, do you have emergency housing?
JFCAC’s Housing Assistance Program does not have any emergency housing funding at this time.
Can I move into a unit with more bedrooms than my voucher allows?
Yes, as long as you are in your voucher bedroom price range.
If I rent to one family, do I have to rent the unit to another family on the program after they move out?
How do I get a unit on the program?
Participants who are interested in renting a unit and have a voucher will have a packet for you to fill out. Once the unit passes inspection, the agency will start the assistance on the 1st or the 16th of the month.
How much are tenants going to pay?
This is an income based program, we do not pay a set amount. The tenant’s portion is an estimated 30% of their monthly adjusted income.

Related Links